PRATYAHARA ~ Awareness of the Senses ~
The Fifth Limb of The Yoga Sutras
The WISDOM podcast Season 3 Episode 65
*Pratyahara is the fifth limb of yoga in the Ashtanga yoga system—also called the eight-limbed path of the yoga sutras—and it serves as a foundation for the practice of meditation.
Through meditation, you can better understand how to hone your awareness, connect to the present moment, and find inner peace or calm.
In the practice of pratyahara you draw your mind inward ~ you release the urge to immediately react to incoming sensation. You approach stilling the mind by shifting the act of sensing from an external to an internal orientation.
Through the practice of pratyahara, you develop concentrative powers that could be called supra ~ above sensory because the act of seeing or feeling becomes heightened to a tremendous degree. It is as though you have new eyes and ears, new senses. You perceive colour more vividly and enjoy your food more, and as you truly wake your senses, you awaken to and value the inner psychological and spiritual dimensions that are the substance and source of what you feel, see, taste, smell and hear.
Your attention in the practice of pratyahara is directed inwards, being totally aware of where the impulse to breathe in and breathe out arises. The total awareness of this itself is pratyahara – or drawing one’s attention into and within oneself.
I liken this to what I call a state of bliss. And yes it is a state of being that you can live in as you practice pratyahara ad as you seek to live this state more of the time – especially during the practice of meditation, mindfulness, inner contemplation, presence in this moment.
Join me for this beautiful exploration of the fourth limb of the Yoga Sutras ~ PRATYAHARA.
Sending you great 💜 love...
Sharing the wisdom and beauty of divine love with you...
If you have a question or if you would like my guidance or help, connect with me here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Find all Episodes of The WISDOM podcast here
Love in your inbox? Subscribe to my weekly WISDOM Notes here
More WISDOM and resources on The Yoga Sutras:
* Yoga Nidra for Deep Healing and Relaxation [YouTube]
* Yoga Nidra 'Inspired Consciousness' [YouTube]
* How to Breathe Deeply with Pranayama Breathing [with dorothy]
* ASANA ~ A State of Being [Podcast S3 E61]
The Niyamas Series
* SAUCHA ~ Purification [Podcast S3 E49] * The Niyamas Series: 1/5
* SANTOSHA ~ Contentment [Podcast S3 E51] * The Niyamas Series: 2/5
* TAPAS ~ Self-Discipline [Podcast S3 E53] * The Niyamas Series: 3/5
* SVADHYAYA ~Self-Study [Podcast S3 E55] * The Niyamas Series: 4/5
* ISVARA PRANIDHANA ~ Surrender [Podcast S3 E57] * The Niyamas Series: 5/5
The Yamas Series
* APARIGRAHA ~ Non-Attachment [Podcast S3 E47] * The Yamas Series: 5/5
* BRAHMACHARYA ~ Non-Excess [Podcast S3 E45] * The Yamas Series: 4/5
* ASTEYA ~ Non-Stealing [Podcast S3 E43] * The Yamas Series: 3/5
* SATYA ~ Truthfulness [Podcast S3 E41] * The Yamas Series: 2/5
* AHIMSA ~ Nonviolence [Podcast S3 E39] * The Yamas Series: 1/5
* The 10 Sacred Habits of Meditation [Online Course @ The School of WISDOM]
* The Four Essential Principles of Meditation [Online Course @ The School of WISDOM]
* Self-Love is 'Being Love' [Podcast Episode S3 E29]
* Live Your Greatness [Podcast Episode Season 1 Episode 1]
* Self-Love: A Meditation to Heal Your Life [The Wisdom Archives]
* Work with Me [Life Coaching & Therapy]
A generous 'thank you' to Audio Engineer, P. Kirpikau radioplato
Podcast Theme Music: 'Aura' from the Album, Illuvia by Eternell www.eternell.net/album/illuvia