The Seat of Meditation ~ ASANA
'ask dorothy' | Q & A
The WISDOM podcast Season 3 Episode 62
~ a state of calm and peace from within ~
The hardest thing for most of us is to be still. To hold a posture of stillness long enough that we feel its effects. The mind is a powerful tool that seems to have a life of its own.
We have, competing for our attention, all of the stimuli we consume. Think about all of the social media content ~ the background noise of our constant devotion to our devices, to TV, music, radio that exists as 'white noise’ and certainly of the bombardment of messages that we give and receive that make it difficult to hear the inner wisdom that lives deep within us.
In a recent episode, we explored together the third limb of the yoga sutras – asana. It is a word that you may be familiar with in yoga as the physical poses that comprise the class experience.
The Sanskrit word ‘asana’ is derived from the root word aasa which means to sit ~ specifically the seat you take for meditation.
Originally, there was only one asana–a stable and comfortable pose for prolonged seated meditation.
Asana is more deeply recognized as a state of being between mind and body that can be cultivated as an experience ~ as a preferential choice ~ as mastery in mind and body.
The seat of meditation is a metaphor for sitting in the practice of ~ for being of the present moment. Bring this into everything that you do ~ your posture, your position, your mindset, your courage, your feelings, and all of the moments of your life.
Feel, experience, witness the promise of the present moment. Lean in.
Let the magic you witness here be the metaphor. Find this truth in all that you do and in all that you are.
Sending you great 💜 love...
Sharing the wisdom and beauty of divine love with you...
If you have a question or if you would like my guidance or help, connect with me here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Find all Episodes of The WISDOM podcast here
Love in your inbox? Subscribe to my weekly WISDOM Notes here
More WISDOM and resources on The Yoga Sutras:
* ASANA ~ A State of Being [Podcast S3 E62]
* What is Asana? [webpage]
The Niyamas Series
* SAUCHA ~ Purification [Podcast S3 E49] * The Niyamas Series: 1/5
* SANTOSHA ~ Contentment [Podcast S3 E51] * The Niyamas Series: 2/5
* TAPAS ~ Self-Discipline [Podcast S3 E53] * The Niyamas Series: 3/5
* SVADHYAYA ~Self-Study [Podcast S3 E55] * The Niyamas Series: 4/5
* ISVARA PRANIDHANA ~ Surrender [Podcast S3 E57] * The Niyamas Series: 5/5
The Yamas Series
* APARIGRAHA ~ Non-Attachment [Podcast S3 E47] * The Yamas Series: 5/5
* BRAHMACHARYA ~ Non-Excess [Podcast S3 E45] * The Yamas Series: 4/5
* ASTEYA ~ Non-Stealing [Podcast S3 E43] * The Yamas Series: 3/5
* SATYA ~ Truthfulness [Podcast S3 E41] * The Yamas Series: 2/5
* AHIMSA ~ Nonviolence [Podcast S3 E39] * The Yamas Series: 1/5
* How Do I Become Whole? [Podcast Episode S2 E56]
* Forgiveness IS F R E E D O M [Podcast Episode S3 E35]
* Self-Love is 'Being Love' [Podcast Episode S3 E29]
* Live Your Greatness [Podcast Episode Season 1 Episode 1]
* Self-Love: A Meditation to Heal Your Life [The Wisdom Archives]
* Work with Me [Life Coaching & Therapy]
A generous 'thank you' to Audio Engineer, P. Kirpikau radioplato
Podcast Theme Music: 'Aura' from the Album, Illuvia by Eternell www.eternell.net/album/illuvia